Thursday, December 15, 2011

CHALLENGE UPDATE: The Finale

Little does she know, he's covering up the deep end of the pool.


The HFCS challenge went so well, I think I got a complex about things relating to this blog. Luckily, the Chivalry Challenge brought me crashing back down to Earth.

It started out wholesome enough. I opened doors and stood upon a ladies' arrival. Pretty soon, however, I began to realize that I was forgetting this little rule or that little rule. I would try and concentrate on one, only to let another one slip through the cracks. It doesn't help that no one is expecting you to stand when they enter and basically zooms in and out of rooms at the speed of light. How am I supposed to uphold the honor of a lady when said lady doesn't even stick around long enough to be honored?

Ultimately, I have no one to blame but myself. The main problem was that there were just too many things to remember. Wife was especially good at remembering all the ones I forgot, as well. This deadly combination spelled doom to the whole operation. By day 20 I basically said "The hell with it," and just tried to hold open doors. Then I just tried to act like I didn't notice any women around.

I want to point out that I am naturally at a disadvantage verses the knights of old. Back in the day, the majority of women were serfs and, therefore, barely worth kicking mud at. Nowadays, every woman is a lady, so I have a billion times more work to put in. Plus, unlike the close knit (and sometimes incestuous) courts of old, I don't know the majority of ladies to whom I am being courtly. I'm surprised I haven't gotten pepper sprayed.

I will report one small success. The QUEST my wife sent me on (putting the toilet seat down) succeeded over 80% of the time. For a guy who just doesn't do that sort of thing, 80% is a real accomplishment.

For now, I think I'll retire this challenge and start a smaller, more simple one. One without so much toilet involvement.

So:

CHALLENGE OVER
RESULT: FAILED
LEARNED: It's a lot harder to be chivalrous to people you don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment