Wednesday, December 21, 2011

CHALLENGE UPDATE: Day 3 (French Hens)

Changing all the station presets on my car radio was probably one of my best ideas I have ever had. I don't mean "best" as in "my favorite," mind you. I mean it is one of the most effective actions I have ever taken. Nothing is more aggravating/defeating than when you are listening to the fourth soft rock variation of "Little Drummer Boy" for the evening and instinctively go to change the station only to find that EVERY ONE OF YOUR STATIONS is playing the same thing. Sure, I could manually tune in another station, but it's just so much work.

On Tuesday, I listened to 8 solid hours of Christmas music radio and picked up a trick or two about Christmas music programming. All the good cuts that you are waiting to hear are played during the day in the middle of the hour. At the top of the hour, they play all the annoying shit people request because they think it is funny (Hippopotamus for xmas, Dominick the Donkey, Feliz Navidad). Then, on the drive home, they bust out the smooth jazz versions to put everyone to sleep and veer into oncoming traffic.

It may sound like I'm becoming scroogier every second, but I would argue the contrary. I bought a santa hat and am wearing it, I put up Christmas lights on our porch, I made cookies and honey roasted almonds for all of my various jobs, and tomorrow, I will be giving gifts to my neighbors. I've even caught myself singing carols as I walk.

I might have to drive in silence from now on, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment